Sunday 25 October 2009

Day 90 - Hue, Hoi An

20.10.09

I'm on the 2pm bus bound for the coastal town and tailor empire that is Hoi An. This morning, I engage the legs once more and rack up a very healthy mileage walking around the town in search of the pagodas, temples and burial mounds, but after about 2 hours I've done a massive circle and managed to bypass all of them some how. What happens next is either funny, brave or just stupid, as I reach a bridge to cross the river and I know there is a temple on the other side. The only down side is that it's a bridge for trains on one side and the other has two lanes, each one wide enough for one motorbike or cyclist to go down or up. I can't be bothered to walk back to the pedestrian bridge as it is a good 45min walk away and so I make the decision to run the 150m or so down one of the lanes and just hope I'm fast enough not to annoy the other bikes. It ends up working and I manage to tail a cyclist nearly all the way, so I don't feel too bad although running essentially down a road with moving traffic is quite entertaining.

My afternoon bus to Hoi An gets in at a cool 6.30pm and this town is tourist central! It's also the place to come if you want to get tailor made clothes made and with bespoke 3 piece suits coming in at under £100, it is totally possible that I blow my Cambodia/Laos/Thailand money on clothes. In the few hours of opening time that the shops have left, I manage to order 2 shirts and have my eyes on a few suits. The shops have countless catalogs and cut outs from high end fashion magazines of suits you can have copied and all in all it's a very dangerous place to be if you don't want to spend money. I shall see tomorrow how the quality compares.

No comments:

Post a Comment