Monday 12 October 2009

Day 82 - Kunming, Somewhere on a road

12.10.09

Another very relaxing wake up and a saunter down to the post office to send my soon to be redundant China guidebook and mountain scarfs, and the assortment of dried leaves that I bought yesterday. Tonight my sleeper bus leaves at 7.30 and heads off south down to the border town of Hekou and from there it's a walk across the river and I shall be in Vietnam. I end buying some more Pu'er before I leave China so I can have some while I am wondering around the jungles, beaches and bustling cities of China's neighbour. It's quite sad to think that I will be leaving the country I have spent so long in and experienced so much in. I have been here since the 10th of August and have raked up 63 days travelling over a fantastic country, meeting some great people and learning about a fascinating culture, history and language. The next stop Vietnam, will, hopefully be equally as good, but I am not going to enjoy going back to a zero communication level as it makes everything so so hard.

I get on my bus at 7.00pm and we leave on time 30mins later. It's old, quite small and smells as if it has done many journeys to the humid and sweaty south China-Vietnam border, mmmmm. At about 1.30am the bus stops and I wake from my slumber partly and have a look around, but don't really take any notice and fall back asleep. when I really wake up at about 7am, we are still in the same place and the bus doors are open and there is a lot of traffic backed up around us. Out of the bus and down the road I find out that there has been an accident and an artic has literally taken out a small minibus, the debris of the crash spread out along the road a good 50m or so. I can't see any sign of the passengers as they would have been long gone, but outside the mini bus sits one lone trainer. We start moving at about 8am and arrive in Hekou at lunch time the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment