Sunday 20 September 2009

Day 56 - Yangshuo

16.09.09

In the morning I have the Chinese breakfast of noodles and vegetables with Wu Ming, which actually goes down quite well, although quite heavy for early morning. She tells me of how she is studying and training to be an air hostess, which in China is a top job for a girl. She also explains how her parents have an arranged marriage for her to a man who is nearly ten years older, their view is that he is a successful business man and she will not have to worry about money or anything once she is married to him. Her view is quite different and she doesn't want to marry someone she doesn't know or care for. It turns out she has started travelling so she will be away come her marriage date and so avoiding the ceremony, she is in a massive dilemma about what to do and it sounds like an extremely hard situation to be in. For some reason arranged marriages is not something I associated with China, but apparently it happens quite a lot.

In the afternoon I make my way to the 'Giggling Tree', a converted farmhouse run by a dutch couple located around 4km away in the the countryside which is where I am staying for the next two nights. I decide to walk all the way and absorb the scenery, in total it takes just over an hour and I'm glad to get my pack off my back when I check in. It's a lovely place and the wood trims are all painted in a vibrant sky blue, the dutch couple seem friendly and there are lots of dutch people staying who fulfill the stereotypes perfectly. It turns out that Wolfram and and Albert are also staying here and along with Muriel (a Swiss girl) and Unai (a Spanish guy), we go and take a swim in the Yulong river which is nearby and beautiful. A great day and I think I have hit one of China's most beautiful places.

No comments:

Post a Comment