Thursday 17 September 2009

Day 55 - Yangshuo

15.09.09

Arriving in Yangshuo early afternoon, the town seems very much like Guilin, except smaller and with more impressive scenery. The main street is nicknamed foreigner street and it has your favourite western hot spots such as a MacDonald's and even better, Sally's Bar, Wendy's Place, etc... On the river front you can see mountains and bamboo outcrops, bamboo rafts and it is actually quite lovely. The weather is quite misty, so visibility is poor and I am sure the mist is following me around China, although the epic downpour at about 4pm clears most of the mist and also leaves everything soaking wet. After monsoon season, I take a walk out of the touristy area and to the outskirts of the town and time is just right to see a local school release its students, who are wearing the brilliant school uniform of ... combat camouflage gear, Love China.

I brave a meal in a local 'hole in the wall' restaurant, which I know will be great food and costs me only 90p for as much rice as I can eat and then a plate of vegetables and meat of my choice stir fried up in a wok. It's such a good deal and they are everywhere in China, but you never see tourists in them as there is no English menu and it's quite intimidating if you have no idea what is going on, (I have no idea what is going on). In my room back at the hostel is a Chinese girl called Wu Ming and a guy whose name I have either forgotten or I like to think he never told me. His pictures of Tibet look amazing and although I will never be able to get into Tibet, maybe I can make a journey nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment