Thursday 17 September 2009

Day 54 - Guilin, Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces

14.09.09

The Dragons backbone rice terraces are supposed to be one of the architectural marvels in China. Terraces for rice fields have been carved into the side of the hills stretching over 500m the hills and covering a huge area. A bonus before I even arrive is it costs me only 35 Yuan to get there as opposed to the 65 Yuan the hostel told me it would cost, obviously just wanting me to take their tour. The journey takes in some amazing scenery and once there I hike up to the top of the terraces for some amazing views down over the valley and the villages. This is minority village area: the people dress in bright vibrant colours; it seems the women never cut their hair and it curls around in massive buns on top of their heads, when they let it loose, it's longer than them; the houses are built on stilts and seem to accommodate whole family groups, not just the immediate family. I decide to take the trek from the north town of Dazhai to the south town of Pingan, which seemed like a good idea, until I realise I'm running out of time and end up pacing through the countryside to make sure I can catch the last bus out and back to Guilin. When I do eventually reach Pingan if I wait for the next bus I will miss my next connection, so I decide it will be a good idea to run about a mile on a steep down hill road to the main crossroads where I can intercept more transport. As I strap on my rucksack tight and make the descent cars that pass me beep and the people on board take pictures or cheer. About half way down a motorcyclist offers me a lift, but I kindly refuse as by this point in time I think I am some kind of action man marathon terminator, I let him drive on a bit before I start running again as I don't want to overtake him. The plan works and I make a connection and catch my bus back to Guilin, feeling good for the exercise, yet in need of a shower.
On the hills I met two guys who I recognise from my hostel, they are making the trek in the opposite direction and back at Guilin I run into them again and they have moved rooms into my dorm. Wolfram and Albert, from Germany. Wolfram is a cartoonist and has been working on a project in China for the past few weeks and Albert (Wolfram's cousin), is training to be a lawyer and has been in China for 6 weeks studying. They are going to Yangshuo in a couple of days, which is my next destination and mention some treks around the town that we can do, plans have been laid.

No comments:

Post a Comment