Thursday 10 September 2009

Day 47 - Guangzhuo, Hong kong

07.09.09

A Guangzhou departure and it's hot outside! I take the metro to the east station and then jump on the train to Hong Kong. It's weird leaving mainland China for Hong Kong as even though it is the same country, you have to go through immigration and customs and everything you would do if you were leaving the country at the airport. It even looks like the airport, coming complete with a duty free section and airport style waiting benches. It takes an hour and a half to whizz over to Hung Hom station on the Kowloon peninsula and then through customs on the Hong Kong border getting my passport stamped again. It's half way through my journey in China and I've used the first 30 days of my visa, with another 30 to go once I enter the mainland again. It's gone so quickly in some respects, but then when I think back, sitting on the bus feeling super scared in Suifenhie seems like a world away.

Once in Hong Kong I immediately love it. It's situated on the sea, the skyline of Hong Kong Island is fascinating and it's an amazing mixture of Chinese and Western/British culture. There's even a Marks and Spencers selling imported M&S food, you can buy many home comforts and imported goods in the supermarkets, the signs for everything are in English as well as Chinese, there is a distinct British sense of politeness, manners and people queue up for things as opposed to chaotically massing, they drive on the left hand side and in general it's a fabulous place.

No comments:

Post a Comment