Sunday 27 September 2009

Day 64 - Kanding, Tagong

24.09.09

In our group of 6 Israelis and one Brit I have been designated interpreter and head communication man as I am the only one who can speak any Chinese. I'm quite surprised at how much I can communicate and in all our morning dealings I haven't hit a sizable wall yet, I had to have a peek at the phrase book a few times, but the foundations of the language are sitting nice and steady in the depths of my mind somewhere. The main task apart from the breakfasts, paying and talking about the computer is to arrange a minibus for the 7 of us to head to Kanding. After some negotiations we head out at 11.30 and what I'm told should be a 2 hour journey takes nearly 5. I think the main reason is that now we are past Kanding the roads become the real Sichuan-Tibet Highway and it some places this consists of just a dirt track, the driver is going reasonably fast, but not too bad although we manage to acquire a burst tyre half way through. Once it's changed we are back on the road and when hit a pass of around 4000m the views of the land below are phenomenal and its at about this point that I notice I am out of breadth if I take a short walk and also I am starting to feel a little strange.

When we arrive in Tagong at 3400m up, it is a real one street town and reminds of spaghetti western movies where the horses have been replaced by motorbikes. This town has a real Tibetan flavour and every building is in a Tibetan style and the people don't look Chinese, there are also Monks everywhere and the main Monastery, Tagong Gompa, is huge. Me and the two Israeli guys decide to climb one of the nearby hills to get a view of the town below and the surrounding plains, it only takes about 10mins, but as I get to the top on comes a headache and I'm panting like I've run a marathon. When we get back to our guesthouse I can feel my headache starting to take route and I also feel weak and a little funny, only one thing for it, Ibuprofen. After dinner we head off to our rooms, me and my two hill climbing buddies, choosing the cheapest dorm room which we have to our selves, but the door doesn't close properly and the windows have holes in them, so it is absolutely freezing cold at night and it takes me hours to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment