Tuesday 25 August 2009

Day 23 - Shenyang, Shanhaiguan, Beijing

14.08.09


Travels to an ancient walled city are on the cards today where I can visit the start of the Great Wall and see the only stretch where it was built over water. The town of Shanhaiguan is an old walled settlement between Shenyang and Beijing, may D class (which I think stands for 'Damn!' as it's so fast and plush) train arrives there in two air conditioned hours.


Today has to be the hottest day so far and I take a walk through the town walls and up it's main street in search for my hotel. I am immediately pestered by a guy who is trying to get me to stay in his hotel, at this point in time I wish I knew some more aggressive Chinese.


I finally arrive at the point where this guest house should be only to find out it has been bought out by a tour company and is now their headquarters. One guy essentially tells me to leave, but a young man called Li Xiao Yong comes and talks to me. He knows enough English to communicate and walks around town looking for a cheap hotel, but unfortunately all the rooms are booked out. We then drive around the town to the hotels that the tour company has links with, the aim is use their weight to get me a cheap room in what seems like all 4 star hotels, but every one turns out negative.


I mention that if I can't find anything I will just go to Beijing that night and forget about Shanhaiguan, it turns out Xiao and his friend Yu Jie are going to Beijing that night as well and the deal is sealed.


They introduce me to other people who work for the company and feed me and give me water, their hospitality is phenomenal. On the train there are only standing tickets left, so we buy dinner and sit in the restaurant car for the six hour journey.


When we arrive in Beijing Yu goes to his grandmas and me and Xiao head up to the University where his girlfriend has managed to find me a cheap room in University accommodation. It's about £11 a night, right next to a Subway station and I get my own double bed, so not too bad.


I go to bed feeling inspired by their kindness and how they can be so hospitable to an absolute stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment