Friday 2 October 2009

Day 69 - Dege

29.09.09

I want to try and make it to Baiyu today and as it's quite near I get up late and make it to the bus station for 8am. This turns out to be a massive error as the buses have already left and after asking around it seems that I am stranded in Dege for another day. It also appears as though there are no buses going directly to Dege for some reason and so I will have to head back to Ganzi and go from there. My travel timings won't really allow this and so I decide to give the town a miss and head back to Ganzi tomorrow en route to Litang, booking in the first leg of the journey with a driver for 7am the next day.

Seeing as I am in town for another day, I take a long walk out and along the road east, which leads through a valley alongside a river. About an hour in, I get a sudden sense of adventure and decide to go off road and up into the mountains on the side of the road. Roaming past yaks rambling through bushes and having no idea where I am going apart from up, eventually leads me up to some terraced crop fields about half way up, which seem to come out of nowhere. A little further up and I run into a small village, where people look as shocked to see me as I am to see them. A path leads out of the village and ends up at a view point back over Dege where an elderly man gives me a surprised look and then an ear to ear grin and a big 'Tashi Dele (hello)'. For some reason I think it is a good idea to try and reach the peak and so continue up the path for a couple of hours which slowly starts to disappear, eventually common sense must of been dropped on my head by one of the eagles flying overhead as I realise that trying to climb the steep and scraggy paths with no climbing experience is just plain foolish... it takes about 3 hours to get back down to the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment