Monday 14 September 2009

Day 51 - Hong Kong

11.09.09

In theory I should be quite productive today, I'm up and about at around 9am showered and ready to go. It's my last day in Hong kong and so I want to have a last whizz around and see what's going on. Depending on your attitude, the first half is far from sightseeing productive as I spend just over 4 hours on the computer, answering emails and writing up entries for this online publication you are reading right now. I eventually leave just after 1 and head outside in the wind and intermittent rain of the storm passing overhead, it's having a nice cooling effect on the hot and humid climate, so as long as it stays at this level I'm quite happy with it. I head over to Hong Kong Park with it's Tai Chi garden, botanical greenhouses and find a massive aviary , with walkways suspended above streams and a man made environment for over 650 various birds. It's magnificent and to have it in the middle of the City is amazing. After the park I make the ascent to Victoria Peak on board the Peak tram, which grants great views over Hong Kong Island, the Kowloon peninsula and the surrounding Islands. I take a walk and circle the peak, seeing what must be some of Hong Kong's top real estate in the form of luxury houses built into the side of the mountatin with fantastic panoramas of the city.

On the journey back to Hong Kong Island I realise that Hong Kong's glitz and glamour may come with a price. In Hong Kong, everyone looks more glamorous and fashionable then on the main land and people generally look wealthier and more comfortable. It seems like a side affect of this is the west's obsession with looking perfect and on the Hong Kong Metro I have never seen as many plastic surgery adverts, ever. Looking around more and the whole area above and below ground features the adverts and a general sense of image concern seems to persist nearly everywhere. I guess all is not rosy and it's taken the worst bits of western culture along with the good bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment