Thursday 24 September 2009

Day 60 - Chengdu

20.09.09

The train gets in late at about 3pm and I make my way to Mix Hostel, the only reason I chose it is because on the flyers it says that there is free music exchange for mp3 players and you can load up on tracks. A short hop on the bus and it's into Mix Hostel which is like a Tardis, it looks small on the outside, but has an outside beer garden, large inside restaurant bar two floors of rooms and a roof terrace. After dropping off my stuff I check out Wenshu Monastery which is just around the corner. It's a massive complex and is the biggest in Chengdu, with lovely gardens and several big prayer hall/rooms, monks shuffling around in red an orange robes, it's a great place to spend a few hours. After my religious excursion I get in the thick of it and walk to the middle of the city in search of a Sichuans famous 'Hot Pot'.

The meal involves a big pot full of oil, stock and lots of chilies, where you throw in various ingredients of your choice and allow them to be cooked in a kind of Chinese spicy fondue. I end up empty handed and settle for a meal in a standard Chinese cafe before visiting my local mega mart and getting some shopping. Chengdu seems like a pleasant city, but with nothing I really want to see here I make the call to head out to the giant Buddha at Leshan tomorrow and make my birthday day trip one of seeing the biggest seated Buddha in the world. I'm a bit sceptical of the day ahead and don't think it will turn out to be one of the best birthdays, being away from home with no one around, but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment