Wednesday 26 August 2009

Day 27 - Beijing

18.08.09

Back to the embassy district early today to pick up my visa, which cost 550Yuan for next day service. It's about £50 which is a bargain, considering I paid over a hundred for my Chinese one to get a three day turnaround. I take a walk to the local embassy park and just as I thought, it was full of people using the exercise machines again, fantastic! There also seems to be an abundance of cafes around all serving coffee and western style cakes, definitely a by product of the embassies.

I get spiritual in the afternoon and visit the Lama temple, which one of the largest Buddhist temples outside of Tibet. It's a massive temple and has a huge Guinness Book of World Records Buddha carved out of a single epic sandalwood tree. The whole complex is full of incense sticks, people praying and the usual mass of tourists. Just down the road is the Confucian Temple and the Imperial College which is one of China's and so civilization's oldest universities/colleges/teaching institutions. China is definitely not short of world famous or
important sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment